Natural Birth- 5 Tips
Lets be real.. birth changed my life. From the moment I found out I was pregnant with my first daughter, Hazleigh, I spent every extra minute that I had educating myself about pregnancy and birth! So let me share some of the resources that I spent 40 weeks digging up with you! First, I listened to thousands of podcasts of women who were pretty much just simply sharing their stories. Check out my blog post “3 Things to do When You Get that First Positive Pregnancy Test” to see a list of the podcasts that I listen to and recommend-
I also read and recommend a few amazing books! Ina May Gaskin’s book on natural child birth is a great resource! Again it mostly consists of women sharing their stories, but that’s what Ina May believes is one of the most powerful ways to help Moms feel confident in their decision to birth naturally! Another book is “Hypnobirthing” by Marie Mongan. This book will give you a lot of good ideas about coping mechanisms to use during your labor and birth. I became more and more passionate about birth and the miraculous way God created our bodies to bring life into this world while educating myself about the pregnancy and birthing process!! I hope you will check out some of these resources and give me some feedback!
Now for your tips-
- Exercise exercise exercise!!! Even if your exercise is just walking- walk every day!
- Put effort into your nutrition! This doesn’t mean that you have to ignore your pregnancy cravings 😉 Just make sure you’re getting enough micronutrients from those veggies (the greener and leafier the better) as well as your protein (100 grams/day is a pretty good baseline for most people). Continue to take your prenatal vitamin…and no, I’m not talking about the gummies you can get at the grocery store. I’ll post the link for the one I take and love below!
- Stay flexible (or get flexible lol)- Bounce on your birthing ball, do yoga, squats, or anything you can do to keep your hips open! This is how the baby is going to come out Mama… so lets make it as easy as possible! Ina May is known for saying, “if you squat 300 times a day, you’re going to give birth quickly.”
- Get rid of fear! If you’re scared of a certain intervention or complication then research the heck out of it! Research until you feel like you know the ins and outs of anything that you think could possibly happen!! This will give you confidence in knowing your options if, in the rare case, a complication should arise.
- LOVE your care provider! When searching for the right care provider you need to ask the right questions and get convincing answers. Ask them how they feel about natural birth. If their answer is vague and doesn’t seem convincing then go deeper and ask how many of their patients deliver naturally. Feel them out! If your desire is to have a natural birth then don’t choose a provider whose c-section rate is 70%. Do NOT be afraid to walk out and find a new provider who is passionate about the same things that you are!
If you have questions about ANY of these tips please reach out to me in a comment or email at email@example.com
I would be happy to go into more detail with you and individualize these resources to fit your lifestyle!
Check out my Pinterest account to see the pins I have about Natural Birth! http://www.pinterest.com/crunchyrnsarah