Well friends, it’s been a while hasn’t it? I am sorry that I have been MIA. So what happened you ask? I fell off the wagon. In fact I fell off, got ran over, then backed up over by the Paleo wagon. I have plenty of excuses although no good ones. They start with a friends 40th birthday celebration. Then it was my 40th birthday (week). Then Thanksgiving. Then Hawaii. Then Christmas. Then NYE. See…plenty of excuses. I have more if you want to hear them.
Let’s not dwell on shoulda/woulda/coulda. It’s a new year and the perfect time to look ahead and plan positive changes. I have a list about a mile long of things I want to accomplish this year. Yep resolutions are cliché. I know it. But I think it is healthy to have goals. Short term and long term.
Here are some of my resolutions for 2014.
- Healthy Eating…I plan to start a GF/Paleo plan again. I loved how I felt while I was eating a Paleo diet. My skin was better; I had more energy; I slept better; my hair was healthier; I had less back pain; I wasn’t as moody. So for me…I choose Paleo. If healthy eating is one of your resolutions choose one that is fully of whole foods, good fats, and lots of fruits and veggies. Try to stay away from preservative laden foods…even when they say lite, light, fat-free, diet etc.
- Exercise…My hubby has a goal of running a marathon. My goal is a 5k…MAYBE a 10k. I HATE running. Hate is not a strong enough word. But I have always wanted to like it. I used to run about 2.5 miles a day. But now I can barely run 1/10 of a mile. It’s pretty sad. So my hubs and I will head up to the track…he runs his 7 miles while I run/walk my 30 mins. I dread each time he laps me because it just tells me how out of shape I am. Oh and he loves to give me a love pat as he passes me. Probably his way of telling me “hey baby…I’m passing you again because what you think is running is actually a moderate walk”. Or maybe he just pats me to show encouragement. But, like I need anything else to jiggle as I work out. I kid you not the 30 seconds before each “run” my body rebels and my legs turn to concrete pilings. They just don’t want to move. Every other part of my body moves when I run though. EVERYTHING. It’s very disappointing. I have said it before and I will say it again…there needs to be a full body bra. We also joined the Rec center…they have a gym, racquetball courts (which I used to kick a$$ at), inside track, etc. So we will be hitting it up as well.
- Church…My hubby and I know that when we are attending church weekly it helps us keep God at the center of our relationship. Our relationship benefits. We are better role models for the kiddos. We just feel more complete.
- Debt…We don’t have a ton. A couple of small credit cards, 2 cars, school loans, and the house. My goal for this year is to get rid of the credit card debt and 2 of my school loans. We have both read/listened to Dave Ramsey’s method and are scheduling ourselves to work a little more in order to get things paid off faster. We have a 5-7 year plan…but for now I just want to think about the 2014 goal.
- Cook…I need to cook more. I admit I am lazy in the kitchen. I am not one who can just look in the fridge/pantry and come up with something off the top of my head. I have to follow a recipe until I have cooked it a few times. When I cook I love cooking from scratch but I am horrible about taking the time to plan out my meals and shopping. So nightly about 5pm I hear the dreaded question “What’s for dinner?” UGH. Seriously, they want to eat EVERY. SINGLE. DAY!!! I want to plan out more meals which in turn will make shopping easier and I won’t waste money at the store.
- Simplify…bottom line, we have too much crap. Crap that we spent money on but that holds no meaning for us. I want more meaning. I want more authenticity. Most “Things” don’t hold either. I look around this house and it seems I have filled it just to fill it. I want to get rid of the excess in our home and in our lives. Keep the meaningful things. I want my family to be what makes this house a home. Not the store bought items it is filled with. So I plan to find 5 things a day…to put away in a “garage sale” box, on Craigslist, or simply throw away.
There ya have it. Those are my resolutions. What are some of yours? Need an idea? Here’s two: be good to yourself and be good to one another. Those are very doable don’t ya think?